Zucchini Lasagna is a great low-carb, Keto recipe that is also gluten-free. It is made with zucchini, and is a healthier option to the traditional lasagna.
Yìeld : 12 servìngs
Prep Tìme : 30 mìns
Cook Tìme : 60 mìns
Total Tìme : 90 mìns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (85/15)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5 medium zucchinis (2 lb. total weight)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 1/3 cup marinara sauce, divided
- 15 oz whole milk ricotta cheese, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, packed (1 oz)
- 8 oz part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
Grill the zucchini slices:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and heat your grill to medium. Slice the zucchinis lengthwise, into 1/4-inch-thick strips, getting 6 slices out of each zucchini.
- Spray the zucchini slices with olive oil cooking spray and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Grill the zucchini slices, in batches, 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden and firm – not browned and crisp. Spread them on clean kitchen towels to soak up more moisture.
- Cook the beef and prepare the ricotta layer:
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the meat, the minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the meat, until the meat is browned, 5-7 minutes. Drain into a colander, then return the meat to the pot and mix in 1 cup of the marinara sauce.
- In another bowl, with a fork, mix together the ricotta, eggs, basil, and the remaining kosher salt and black pepper.
Assemble the lasagna:
- Spread the remaining 1/3 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9 X 13 baking dish. Top the marinara sauce with a layer of zucchini, then a third of the ricotta mixture, a third of the meat mixture, and a third of the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat, arranging the zucchini slices in the opposite direction: zucchini, 1/3 ricotta, 1/3 meat mixture, 1/3 mozzarella.
- Repeat one last time, adding one extra layer of zucchini: zucchini, ricotta, meat mixture, more zucchini, and mozzarella.
- Bake the lasagna:
- Bake, uncovered, until the cheese is golden, about 30 minutes. You can finish by broiling for 1-2 minutes on high to brown the cheese, if you wish and if your dish is broiler-safe.
Recìpe adapted from : @ Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna