Take your lasagna south of the border with this easy Slow Cooker Mexican Lasagna with Barbacoa! Spicy and saucy shredded beef and soft tortillas replace the classic ingredients in this fun, twisted weeknight meal.
Yield : 8 servings
Prep Time : 45 mins
Cook Time : 360 mins
Total Time : 405 mins
- 4 pounds beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 dried guajillo peppers
- 3 - 4 chipotle chilis in adobo
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 32 ounces salsa (2 jars)
- 12 corn or flour tortillas
- 15.5 ounces pinto beans (1 can) drained and rinsed
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 cups shredded jack cheese
- Sour cream for garnish
- 1 avocado chopped (optional)
- Queso fresco crumbled (optional)
- Fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water. Place guajillo peppers into a bowl and fill with warm water until covered. Soak 30-60 minutes until softened.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Season chuck roast with salt and pepper. Heat a large cast iron pot over high heat. Add oil, then sear chuck roast on all sides. Once seared, remove pot from heat and set aside. Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a blender, add soaked guajillo peppers, chipotle, garlic, broth, lime juice, cider vinegar, cumin, oregano, cloves, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Blend until smooth, adding more broth if necessary to thin it out. Taste and adjust seasoning by adding more salt, pepper, or lime.
- Pour sauce over chuck roast. Cover with the lid and cook for 3 hours, until meat is tender and the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F on meat thermometer. Use two forks to shred barbacoa.
- Gently rub cilantro under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Lightly spray the inner bowl of the slow cooker with cooking spray. Spread 1 cup of salsa on the bottom of the cooker.
- Place a single layer of tortillas on top of the salsa, cutting them if necessary to fit the crock pot and cover the salsa completely.
- Place a layer of shredded barbacoa beef on top of the tortillas. Top with ⅓ each of the beans, onions, remaining salsa, and cheese.
- Add another layer of tortillas on top of the cheese. Repeat the layers two more times, beginning with beef and ending with cheese. Cover and slow cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Served with a drizzle of sour cream, chopped avocado, queso fresco, and cilantro, if desired.
Recipe adapted from : @ https://thecrumbykitchen.com