This EASY creamy soup tastes just like the beloved King Ranch Chicken Casserole. Loaded with cheese, juicy chunks of chicken, and tons of flavor! Simply load up the slow cooker (affiliate link) and let this soup simmer during the day. Everyone will be waiting with bowls in hand to enjoy this one!!
Yield : 6 servings
Prep Time : 10 mins
Cook Time : 240 mins
Total Time : 250 mins
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 and 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 medium jalapeno, minced (seeds and membranes removed)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar, Mexican blend or Colby Jack
- Tortilla chips for serving
- chopped fresh cilantro for serving
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and saute until it’s fragrant and light golden brown, about 1 minute. Stir in the flour and whisk continuously for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth, increase the heat to a simmer and whisk continuously for several minutes, until the sauce is smooth and thickened.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Add black pepper to taste and set the sauce aside.
- Place the chicken breasts in a large slow cooker (affiliate link). Top them with the diced tomatoes with green chiles and jalapeño and pour the sauce over the top. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, until the chicken is tender and cooked through but not overcooked.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, stir the cheese into the slow cooker and cover the slow cooker for the time being.
- Pull the chicken into large chunks and stir it back into the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker and cook for 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and all of the ingredients are heated through. Stir well.
- To serve, crush the tortilla chips into a bowl and ladle the soup over the top, garnishing with extra cheese and the cilantro, if desired.
Recipe adapted from : @ Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken Soup