This easy Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken recipe cooks up easily in the pressure cooker with simple pantry ingredients. Comes together quickly in a zesty and flavorful cilantro lime marinade perfect for grilling or baking.
Yield : 6 servings
Prep Time : 12 mins
Cook Time : 20 mins
Total Time : 32 mins
- 6-8 boneless chicken thighs skinless or with skin*
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder or to taste
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 Tablespoons ghee
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves sliced or minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- zest of half a lime
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup homemade or low sodium chicken broth **PLEASE SEE NOTES BELOW
- 2 Tablespoons coconut cream
- Chopped fresh parsley and lime slices for garnish if desired
- Instant Pot I have the 6 Quart Instant Pot DUO
- OR Cast Iron Skillet
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin and chili powder.
- To cook in the Instant Pot:
- Press the Sauté function (Normal setting) on the Instant Pot and add the olive oil to the pot. (I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot DUO)
- Place chicken in the Instant Pot and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. This helps to seal in the juices and keep it tender. (You may have to work in batches depending on the size and amount of chicken you are using). Once browned, remove from Instant Pot and set aside.
- Melt ghee in Instant Pot and stir in the onions and garlic. Add lime juice to deglaze pan and cook for 1 minute. Add Italian seasoning, lime zest, cilantro and chicken broth.
- Place the chicken back into the Instant Pot, lock the lid, and turn the valve to SEALING.
- Select the Manual (older models) or Pressure Cook (newer models) button and adjust the timer to 7 minutes.
- It will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure and start counting down.
- When done, release the pressure after 2 minutes, then remove your Instant Pot lid.
- Remove chicken from Instant Pot using tongs and set aside on a large serving plate. Stir in coconut cream into the Instant Pot. If you like your sauce thicker - you can thicken with 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (OR if not low carb a cornstarch slurry or arrowroot starch slurry by mixing 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch (arrowroot starch) mixed with 1 teaspoon cold water). Press off and turn Instant Pot to SAUTE function. Cook and allow the sauce to bubble and thicken. Turn off and add chicken back to the Instant Pot to coat with sauce. Spoon sauce over chicken and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve with your favorite sides and garnish with lime slices, if desired.
- To cook on the stove:
- In a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat add olive and cook for 4-5 on each side, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees. Transfer browned chicken to plate and set aside.
- Return pan back to heat and melt ghee. Stir in onion and garlic. Add lime juice to deglaze the pan and cook for 1 minute. Add Italian seasoning, lime zest, cilantro and chicken broth. Stir in coconut cream [If you like your sauce thicker - you can thicken with 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (OR if not low carb a cornstarch slurry or arrowroot starch slurry by mixing 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch (arrowroot starch) mixed with 1 teaspoon cold water).
- Once the sauce has bubbled and thickened up slightly, add the chicken back into the pan until hot. Spoon sauce over chicken and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve with your favorite sides and garnish with lime slices, if desired.
Recipe adapted from : @ https://lifemadesweeter.com