This easy, make-ahead casserole is everything you love about Beef Stroganoff with the convenience of using ground beef and a handful of simple ingredients. No canned soup here, the flavor is all homemade!
Yield : 4 servings
Prep Time : 10 mins
Cook Time : 40 mins
Total Time : 50 mins
- 8 oz. egg noodles uncooked
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef I use 85% lean
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 ½ cups beef broth
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 + 3/4 cups shredded cheese
- Parsley to garnish
- Cook the egg noodles for one minute less than instructed on the package. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch Oven or large pot. Add the ground beef and cook and crumble until it’s browned and cooked through. Season with desired amounts of salt and pepper.
- Remove the cooked beef from the pot and set aside, leave the grease in the pan.
- Add the onion to the pan and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for additional minute, until fragrant.
- Add the butter to the pan and swirl around until it’s melted.
- Use a fork to stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Stir in half of the beef broth until incorporated, then add the second half.
- Use a spatula to scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan, this will give the sauce plenty of flavor.
- Mix in the sour cream, mustard, and half of the cheese until well-combined. (Sour cream will keep melting and will eventually incorporate into the mix.) Let it simmer for 3-5 minutes, until thickened.
- Add the ground beef back to the sauce. Use a silicone spatula to carefully mix in the egg noodles.
- Pour into a 9x13 greased casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
- If serving immediately, bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is hot and melted.
- If serving at a later date, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, up to two days.
- Bake refrigerated casserole at 375 degrees for 25 minutes covered, and an additional 5-10 minutes uncovered.
- Top with chopped parsley and serve!
Recipe adapted from : @ https://thecozycook.com