Moist and tender vanilla cupcakes filled with fresh strawberries and topped with strawberry buttercream.
Yield : 12 servings
Prep Time : 30 mins
Cook Time : 20 mins
Total Time : 50 mins
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar sifted if lumpy, plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup freeze dried strawberries optional, see note
- 3 tablespoons fresh strawberry puree see note
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam
- Fresh strawberries to garnish (optional)
FOR THE CUPCAKES;
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 12 cup muffin tin or line with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat butter on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Scraping the bowl as needed. Gradually add the sugar and beat until well combined. Reduce the mixer to low and add the egg, egg whites, and vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low, add half the flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Add the milk, mixing until just combined. Add the remaining flour and mix until just combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold in the chopped strawberries.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Transfer the muffin tin to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
- If using freeze dried strawberries:
- In a small food processor, blend about 1/2 cup freeze dried strawberries until they turn into powder. Pour the powder into a fine mesh sieve, discarding the solids and seeds, keeping the fine powder that came through the sieve. Measure out two tablespoons of the powder to use in the frosting. Proceed below.
- With a hand mixer, or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter for 2 minutes, until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl and the beater as necessary. Add the powdered sugar, 1/2 a cup at a time, beating until combined.
- Add strawberry puree, freeze dried strawberry powder (if using), vanilla extract and jam, and beat on medium speed until fully combined, being sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl and beater as needed. If necessary, adjust the consistency by adding more powdered sugar or more strawberry puree, to thicken or thin it out. Place in a piping bag, or use an offset spatula to frost cupcakes (this makes enough frosting to generously frost the cupcakes). Garnish with sliced strawberries, if desired.
Recipe adapted from : @ https://celebratingsweets.com