A lightened-up version of the famous cowboy casserole, made even easier in the slow cooker! This Crockpot Cowboy Casserole is flavorful and packed with good-for-you ingredients.
Yield : 6 servings
Prep Time : 15 mins
Cook Time : 240 mins
Total Time : 255 mins
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage (can use ground turkey for a healthier alternative)
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound baby/petite red potatoes, thinly sliced (no need to peel)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) fire-roasted corn, drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, not drained
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon TABASCO Sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup low-fat Colby Jack cheese, freshly grated
- Fine sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Optional toppings: fresh cilantro, sour cream
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the sausage and chopped yellow onion. Brown the sausage and drain off any fat. Add to a 6 quart crockpot. Top with the thinly sliced red potatoes.
- Add the chopped bell pepper, fire-roasted corn, kidney beans, undrained fire-roasted diced tomatoes, minced garlic, TABASCO sauce, beef broth, and chili powder. Season to taste with salt & pepper; I use 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. You can always add more at the end 🙂
- Stir everything together and cover the crockpot.
- Cook on high for 3-5 hours or low for 5-7 hours or until potatoes are tender. Once everything is finished cooking, taste and adjust salt and pepper to preference.
- Add the freshly grated cheese in an even layer over everything and allow to melt. Serve hot with additional TABASCO sauce as desired and fresh cilantro.
Recipe adapted from : @ https://www.chelseasmessyapron.com