Chicken and Sausage Cajun Jambalaya is a smoky and flavorful one pot meal. Whether you like it spicy or mild, this recipe is sure to be a favorite for family dinners and parties.
Yield : 6 servings
Prep Time : 20 mins
Cook Time : 50 mins
Total Time : 70 mins
- 1 lb chicken breast,
- cubed ½ lb sausage (Andouille or other smoked sausage), sliced
- 2 onions, diced 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 green pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 4 c chicken stock, low sodium or homemade
- ½-1 tsp red pepper flakes (depending on your heat preference)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 c long grain white rice, dry
- Heat a Dutch oven over high heat.
- Add cubed chicken and sliced sausage.
- Sauté until the meat is deeply golden on all sides, 7-10 min.
- (At this point, you should have some fat in the pan from the sausage.
- If not, add 1 tsp oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan before the next step.)
- Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the diced onions, green pepper and celery.
- Sauté until the vegetables are golden brown, 10 min.
- Add the chicken stock and scrape any stuck bits from the bottom of the pan.
- (This “graton” is what will give your “brown jambalaya” its distinctive color.)
- Add the red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- (We like to start on the light side with the pepper flakes and cayenne.
- You can always add more later, but you can’t take it away if it’s too hot!)
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and add the dry rice. Stir the jambalaya often until the mixture returns to a boil.
- Then, reduce the heat to medium-low to maintain a slight simmer.
- Cover and cook the jambalaya for 25-30 minutes, until the rice is fluffy.
- (Try to avoid lifting the lid during cooking, until the end when you need to check if the rice is done.)
- When the rice is done and the liquid has been absorbed, remove the Jambalaya from the heat and let it finish steaming for 5 minutes.
- Give the Jambalaya one good stir.
- Taste it and adjust the salt and heat to your preference.
- Serve immediately with a big slice of cornbread and some steamed greens.
Recipe adapted from : @ https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com