This beef enchilada casserole is layers of ground beef, beans, tortillas and cheese, all smothered in enchilada sauce and baked to perfection.
Yіeld : 6 servings
Prep Tіme : 25 mіns
Cook Tіme : 35 mіns
Totаl Tіme : 60 mіns
- 10 small tortillas cut in half corn or flour tortillas work here
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef I use 93% lean
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15- ounce can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tomatoes cored, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the ground beef and cook for 6-8 minutes, breaking up the meat with a spoon.
- Add the taco seasoning, salt and pepper to taste, and beans; stir to combine.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer 1/3 of the tortillas over the sauce.
- Add 1/2 of the meat mixture, then add 3/4 cup of cheese on top of the meat.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce over the cheese.
- Repeat the process with 1/3 of the tortillas, the rest of the meat mixture, 3/4 cup of cheese and 1/2 cup of sauce.
- Add the final 1/3 of tortillas on top of the casserole; pour the remaining sauce over the top of the tortillas and sprinkle on the rest of the cheese.
- Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.
- Sprinkle tomatoes and green onions over the top. Let the casserole sit for 5 minutes before cutting.
Recipe adapted from : @ https://www.spendwithpennies.com